"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Do This! Do This NOW!

I don't even remember how I found Kill The Door, but you need to go there! It's a secret supergroup of agents, managers and casting directors who, in the name of Love and Anonymity, give actor tips to help you get to the next level. They started giving out tips on major auditions, but it's growing to be more than that...

This is a relatively new website, as they will be having discounts and other advantages offered soon, but right now, they are OFFERING A FREE CRITIQUE OF YOUR REEL!!!

Go to the contact page and send them your link, and they'll review it in about three days or less. I just got mine and it was very helpful!

And if you don't have a reel up on Breakdowns (Actors Access) yet, what are you waiting for? Submitting with a reel (even just a demo reel) gets you filtered to the top of the list the Casting Director looks at when opening their submissions folder. Once I had mine up, my audition ratio had a huge spike.
And since Glee is now so popular, and almost everyone has a webcam, sing a snippet of a song and post it up there! Do it! You never know!

Who loves you?

3 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. My freshly cut reel (edited by that boy I adore) has a tiny little bit of sizzle at the beginning and end. (see KTD's post about what makes a good reel.)

    Dammit, should I re-do the damn thing? ARgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the first time I've heard about ditching sizzles. I've always thought they were strange, cause yeah, you can't see any acting going on. And when I was casting, all I could think was, "Ugh - get me to the acting parts!" so I could judge whether you were worth auditioning or not. Those that had long sizzles before their acting, I'd skip over and not bring in.

    And I'm sure Boy Whom You Adore wouldn't mind. Getting rid of it should be easy peasy as far as editing goes.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.