"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Peaks and Valleys

The life of a creative is a constant roller coaster. One month you're at the top, looking at the entire city and marveling at how it all works out. The next, you're at the bottom and you can't get an audition to save your life and you're being jerked around and the restraints are really starting to hurt your boobs.

Last month, I was definitely feeling restrained. And a lot of it felt like it was my fault and no one's fault all at the same time. The few auditions I did have, I was put on avail, so I'm doing good work, only to be released because I didn't do the best work. And I was beginning to get depressed. The mouse who has been on the wheel for ten full minutes at a breakneck speed only to realize she's still in the exact dang spot.

The life of a creative is kind of like that. Spinning to nowhere, sometimes, but at least you're spinning.

What should you do?

Make More Friends AND Nurture The Friends You Have.

Find out what they're doing, how you can help. Everybody has an idea in this town, and if you're currently running in the wheel to nowhere, see if you can't stop for a second, gather your bearings, and find out where your other friends are. Cause they might just be at the front of the line at the roller coaster and want you to ride with them.

There's a girl in my acting class I've always liked, but wanted to know more about. Made a frozen yogurt date with her and when I told her that I want to see her one woman show that she's writing (her second, btw), she looked at me and said, "You should write one!"

I've always wanted to. Thought about it for a while. I felt that I needed someone to help guide me, help mentor me, answer my questions.

Guess who now has an incredibly excited and supportive new mentor?

I also met another girl who is normally in the Monday class but came in on Tuesday and we talked for a bit after class. I felt like I already knew her. We made a lunch date for the following day and spent ELEVEN hours together, talking, laughing, marveling at how we were so similar, knew the same people, felt like we've done this before. This girl, who've I only known now for ten days now, feels like I've known her my whole life. We met last week! And now we are molding and shaping a pilot and then a web series, because we like how the other one works, love how we bounce ideas off each other, know that being honest doesn't have to be brutal, and are making things happen.

I have another friend who wanted my help in writing a song parody. She came over last night, we finished 2/3 of it, saw a mutual friend in a play, came back and finished the song.

And tomorrow, I am going to the table read of the web series I booked, because the projects are more likely to come when you are already busy.

Yes, it's peaks and valleys, highs and lows, and the lows can be really low, but the highs - MAN! You just need to extend your hand and you feel like you can touch a star.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. LOVE IT.

    You forgot to say, "Helped pick out my friend Tracy's outfits for her headshot session so she'd look awesome, yep, that was all me," and then follow it up by saying, "Helped soothe my friend Tracy's freak-out when she worried that aforementioned headshots weren't good enough."

    You rock, Lirabobeera. And you're my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective! Not only can we reap material benefits from interacting with others, but it can help us forget about our own dissatisfactions, and help us to remember we are not alone in our struggles.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.