"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Post 500

This is my 500th post. Quite the landmark, eh? When I first started this thing, it was more of a chronicle of my auditions and callbacks and how I felt they went. Truly boring! As I kept writing, I found I was more interested in helping others figure out their next step, and writing a post or two about things that really mattered to me.

Here's a post about both of those things.

In a few hours, I am going to pick up one of my best friends (growing up, I had learned on the playground that you can only have one best friend and I always hated that rule, because ranking people you love is unfair. I have several best friends whom I love equally and wholly. You should too! :) Sarah and I have known each other since we were 15. FIFTEEN! So that's [hack, cough!] Ten Whole Years! A Decade! She lives up in Lafeyette and I miss her terribly, but whenever we see each other, it's like no time has passed. She's brilliant, compassionate, gorgeous, and a human being I am so happy to know and love. Whenever I can get her and my other BFF, Gloria, together, it's a fun time, because they are practically the same person, and yet so different. They're two people who make me think, "Why on Earth do they love me so much?!" but I have to squash that negative thought, embrace it, and just hope that I am always the friend they need me to be too.

My last post, Peaks and Valleys, hit home for another BFF, Phoenix.  Even though we artists may have a ton of things going on in our immediate future, it still doesn't seem like enough. And it hurts our hearts, and turns our blood into lead, weighing us down until we can't feel anymore. It's hard. An artist without feeling, without letting herself feel emotions, can't create. But, like the seasons, we have to understand that this happens every year. Leaves fall, it gets colder, and all the cute animals hibernate. But a few months later, everything blooms. Know this happens, prepare for it, and in this day and age, create your own content. Find other things in life that give you joy that isn't acting, and go forth. And like a phoenix, you'll rise again, stronger than before. Keep heart.

For all of you out there wanting to get a Casting Director's opinion of the acting world but can't afford to attend a seminar, Billy DaMota is doing one for FREE. If you don't know him, you are losing out. He champions for our rights and is extremely generous with his time and connections.
FREE SEMINAR/Q+A with Billy DaMota! Saturday and Sunday, July 23 + 24 - 1pm to 4pm at TheCastingDirector.com -see website for address and directions. Attendance is limited so you must RSVP to facebook@castboy.com with your name, tel # and day you'd like to attend.

Format will be similar to The Actors Network guest evenings. Q+A and discussion. So bring your questions and let's make this a habit!
Also, I found this, and think it's a good mantra to have. I printed mine out and am going to frame it in my office. 
via









 
I am also obsessed with a song. It's two years old or so, but I've never been hip to the music scene. I just discovered it. Have a listen: 
If you're like me, you're probably wondered what the heck that high pitched voice is saying. Well, Gloria figured it out! They're sampling a song in Gaelic (which is why it doesn't make any sense) that translates to "Oh, my little boat." But that's not fun, is it? So instead, imagine the high pitched singing is actually:
Please Unicorn, Please Unicorn, Please Unicorn, Eat Taco With Me!
Fun right?
And now that you're probably at the same part of the song that I was at when I was dancing by myself (cause sometimes, ya just gotta dance!) only to be surprised that my fiance was filming me. Of course I ham it up.

Have a wonderful week!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! You've got some mean moves, girl! Made my day ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you have to say about recognizing the inevitabilities of the slow times, finding other ways to occupy ourselves, and having faith that spring will come. Very eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the some and "please unicorn, eat taco with me" is EXACTLY what they're saying! But the video is making me a teeny bit nauseous with all the spinning. So I'll stop watching it and just dance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just mentioned how much I lean on you in my latest post, and here you are, doing it again, being fabulous and giving me strength.

    I love you, my BFF, always, and I will get through this, possibly with ice cream but always definitely with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, if we were same coasters something tells me we'd be very good friends. This had me laughing for far too long. The more I listen to this, the more I'm convinced they are saying Please Unicorn, Please Unicorn..

    And as for slow times..they are just this horrible horrible part of what we do and there is no getting around them. A friend of mine just say Jennifer Anniston at the Actor's studio and she had advice for slow times. Find something you love to do and put your extra energy in that when you're in a slump. I'm not sure if that will help get out of the slump, but at least it'll make it more bearable.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.