"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Haps

What happens when I find myself kinda lost?

I make lists! I love lists!

And one of the things that has been on my list for a while is Voice Over. Yes, Voice Over, the thing every struggling actress thinks she should get into because surely, no one else has thought to do this too, and she'll make a ton of money booking work from auditions she can do at her own home!

Now, I've really been paying attention to voice overs on commercials on the radio and television, and really noticing how different they all are. How, if we did any type of voice over work on our scene work, we'd be kicked out of class for being too theatrical.

I've been paying attention to cartoons - kids cartoons and adult cartoons, and noticing the difference.

I'm even taking a Voice Over class.

And I love it. How musical it all is. How "taking your voice and pushing it to the front of your mouth" (whatever the eff that means) can produce another sound.

So my website now has a Voice Over tab where I'll have the small online cartoons I worked on serve as a place holder for the Commercial Voice Over reel I'll have in 6 weeks, and the Animation Voice Over reel I'll hopefully have next year.

The big lesson I've learned this month? When I'm feeling like I have no control and nothing's happening, find another acting skill and learn as much as I can about it. Research, study, make things happen.

Make things happen!

9 comments:

  1. HA! Great post. I think we all think that as well. "Say...no one else is doing this, I'll be HUGE!"

    I fell into voice-over recently and can't begin to say how much fun it is. DIFFERENT, but oh so much fun. There is more of a chance to play on the spot I feel. But it's not the same type of playing we'd do on stage or on film. And you are so right. If I did half the things I have been doing over the microphone lately on film I'd be kicked out. Heck even in a theater I'd be asked to tone it down. Or at the very least go home and come back when I feel better.

    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voice overs sound like such fun! Though I'm pretty sure there's tons of people doing *everything* as far as show biz goes. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The illusion of movement. If you think you'll get work after 6 months of practice you are dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if I DON'T book work after 6 months of practice, I'll still have a new skill set, won't I?

    Sometimes the illusion of movement is what we need to keep going. Then, whoa! We look back and find out we did indeed move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Anonymous always just such a breath of fresh air?

    It takes a lot of courage and artistic integrity to anonymously stop by a blog full of optimism, energy, and activity and try to poop all over it.

    I tip my hat to you, Anon. When I grow up I want to be cynical and scared of the world, just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep busy busy busy! just discovered your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lira, where are you taking class? i have been looking for a VO class and am always worried its a scam...would appreciate your help! : 0

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scratch that last comment, just saw it on your resume : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon, please email me. I have some insider info. :)

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.