"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Slight Girl Crush

One of the fun things about working in a restaurant is you are always surrounded by other actors. And some of them turn out to be incredibly fascinating.

Take for instance, Michael. His last theatre gig was at the Pantages. The Pantages! He had offered this tidbit of information right before I said that I hate Shakespeare. So, you know, crickets. I think he had even stopped talking to me at that point...

Go ahead, judge me. Every one does. But it's okay. All the Shakespeare I've seen has just been godawful. Archaic language that no one even understands anymore (you can't blindly go in to a Shakespearean play and expect to follow without having your brows furrowed. Polar Bear, please don't hate! ) And if you do a Billy S comedy, the physical humor has to be so incredibly exaggerated, just so we know we're supposed to be laughing. Ick. No thanks.

At any rate, a coworker found me on FB and then asked everyone to go over her new website. I clicked on it, and wow.

First off, Jamie Dix is sweet as sweet can be, and is actually really smart. Two qualities I absolutely adore in people. She's done theatre here in LA! She sings! She acts! She produces! She has awesome pictures! Her website is fun!

I told her I had a slight girly crush on her. ...I think I might've scared her. I should really use something else to describe that I only want to know more about what she's done, and where she is here in life.  I bet I could learn a few things from her. I want to sit with her over coffee. I want to go over her production notes. I want her to come with us to karaoke so I can listen to her sing.

New interesting people are fun!

I'm excited to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. She's cute! I think I may have a crush on her too. I like her website.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.