"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Commercial Auditions

Commercial Auditions sometimes seem so incredibly random to me. I mean, I can just imagine a casting director clicking away on submissions while singing Eeny Miney Moe.

I had an audition a couple days ago for Wendy's, where I had to pretend to smell bacon. Luckily, I have a BFA in pretend so this was a pretty easy task. I left the audition thinking - weird. Commercial auditions are just so weird.

I had my callback yesterday morning. Now, like I said, I always read the sign-in list cause I'm nosy as hell and want to see if I know anyone on it. I missed Amy Paffrath by an hour, which is such a shame, because I bet she was wearing a killer outfit with some sweet boots.

At any rate, I'm sitting in the waiting room and the girl next to me has super curly hair, just like mine, except way longer and all one color. She admires my bangs. Aw thanks! We talked about them, and she asked me is she should do it. I said, well, know that they are going to tickle and annoy the heck out of you, BUT it's a change, it feels current, and we can always straighten them to get them out of our face. I like to think she seriously considered them after liking mine so much (Thanks Artease!)

It's a group scene, so five of us are selected to go to the antelobby before we go into the room. The guy next to me chats up CurlyGirl and says, you look really familiar. She replied that she was a tv whore. He asked what she had recently been on and she replied General Hospital and Greek. He said that couldn't be where he's seen her, so then he said, well, what have you done that you're most proud of, which, man, what a great question!

She said, My So Called Life.

I once watched the pilot on dvd with Marley, but couldn't place this girl.

It's our turn to pretend to smell bacon. We do. We leave.

CurlyGirl and I are walking back with The Other Guy in our audition who was complaining about having to drive back to Long Beach. Good luck with traffic, we had both said. Then I see her point to a car which goes "boop boop!" and unlocks. "Have a nice day!" she calls out merrily, and she hops into her white ferrari and drives away.

Wow, I thought, kind of excited, an actress with a ferrari!? Awesome! She's WORKING.

Yeah she is. Quite a lot. CurlyGirl is Senta Moses. Weird. She's slumming auditioning for quick service restaurant commercials! And that's why commercial auditions really are so random. You never know who you're going to pretend to smell frying cured pork flesh with.

4 comments:

  1. Also, commercial auditions pay a lot. So agents and actors love them.

    PS hope you don't mind that I borrowed your "I got a BFA in Make Believe" line for my bio. I promise to give all credit to you next time, oh pretty one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also got a minor in "Making Up Stories," but it's written on my diploma as "Defining the Differences Between One or More Stories." Oh, Chapman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say that I minored in Bad Childhood.

    PS do I ever get to see you again? Ever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Senta Moses! Lark and she are friends as well - she seems very nice. Curly girls unite!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.