"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Very Stuggling Actress Day

Yesterday, I went to my new waitressing gig, having to ask a coworker to close for me because, yay! I had an audition. Worked, changed, and then drove to my audition in Beverly Hills. It was for Match.com, which, is such a huge bummer, because I thought their commercials featured REAL couples! It's all a sham! And I love that website! I was on it. I always tell people to join it. They should pay me anyways, but at any rate...
The commercial audition had us paired up. I sat next to a guy I started talking with, and it turns out he went to my alma mater as well, graduating 2 years after me. We hit it off a bit and talked, and then when the casting director paired me up with someone else, I immediately thought, "I should ask if I could do it with this guy!" But I didn't. And man, I wish I had. Lesson learned: This is my audition, and if I want to pair off with someone else, they're not gonna give two shits. And our audition would have been awesome, as we were near the same height and already had a lot in common.
Instead, I was paired off with New Actor.
New Actor was obviously not hetero. Obviously not. I dated a gay for two years, so I know (now). New Actor was also much taller than me, which meant I had to crane my neck up to look at him, which is probably not my most flattering angle.
And New Actor was adorable, because after we had slated, or, said both our names for the camera recording our audition, the casting director said to him, "Profiles." That means you turn 45 degrees to show the profile of your face, on both sides. But he, bless him, started talking about how he liked hiking and was really outdoorsy. Cute!
The audition had us pretend we were together for two years, talking to the camera what attracted us to the other's profile when we were on match.com, and then had us pretend that we were meeting for the first time, and then switching back to our two year old relationship, joking and laughing, and then pretending we were at the end of our first date and showing how we really liked each other, and then dancing together.
Commercial auditions are so bizarre. Especially when you have to have a partner, but lesson learned: I can partner up with whomever I want.
You learn something new everyday!

After the audition, I drove alllllll the way up to Northridge to have the hair/makeup artist look at my hair to see if she needed to dye it so that I would match the character I was playing on "Untitled Post Partum" series. I have three different highlights in my hair, thanks to being an Artease hair model (thanks Ash!) that did not match Shelly's look. (I had referred to her as Shelby in earlier posts. Whoops.) So we dyed my hair.  Bye bye highlights. I'll miss you. I'll get them back once we're done filming; the hair/makeup artist will put them back in, they just won't be the same colors or applied the same innovative way, which makes me shed a bit of a tear. Sniff. Sniff.

I then get home and am exhausted. But when I check my email, I see that I have a print audition for the next day.

It all feels pretty awesome right now.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet!! Keep that energy coming, girl! :)

    PS I had an audition once where I knew we were gonna get paired off with another girl, and so we all sat in the waiting area, and there was this one girl who spent the ENTIRE time talking on her phone to her mother, and I ended up getting paired with her, and she blew the audition and didn't even care.

    Not a day goes by that I don't kick myself that I didn't quietly pull aside the CD and ask him to pair me with another girl.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.