"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Friday, February 4, 2011

At the Airport

Hey Everyone, I'm at the airport this month for pilot season. I figure I'll find more pilots here than anywhere else.

My manager suggested last week that I call my agent to chit chat. My initial reaction was a stomach full of lead as I imagined the conversation:

"Lira Kellerman for Agency Founder please."
"One moment"
"Hey Lira, what can I do for you?"
"Heeeeeey!!!! Uhm. I just called to waste your time.... OhMyGodGottaGoBye!"

I mean, I have nothing new to report, nothing exciting is going on career wise, and I knew that I would be taking up his precious work time and who wants to be responsible for keeping their agent at their office at this time of year?

So what did I do?

Chicken me called the office on the weekend. When I knew he'd be out. I left my voicemail that I was just saying hi, had nothing really to say, but hoped he was doing well.

When I hung up, I facepalmed myself. I forgot to leave my phone number.

LA rule 1) MAKE IT EASY FOR PEOPLE TO CONTACT YOU!

Whoops.

Agent called me on Monday to check in with me and make sure I was okay. On voicemail. I didn't feel the need to call him back, cause I'm fine and boring.

He called me again last night.

He wanted to make sure I was okay. He told me that he got my voicemail over the weekend and realized that his client roster contact sheet at home is out of date because I wasn't on there. And when he contacted his guy in the commercial department for my phone number, he didn't have it, cause I'm not repped by their commercial department.

"I got worried. So I'm glad you're okay, I'm glad you're doing well, but I just wanted you to know that you ruined my entire weekend."

Oh my god, I freakin love him. He's so funny and sweet and reminds me of my dad.

He said that the Pilot Season hasn't been normal this year (and he then corrected himself, saying pilot season hasn't been "normal" in years) due to the casting director fight with the studios. And that he expected things to pick up considerably in the next two weeks.

But then I got to thinking.... after the pre-read, what can a Struggling Actress expect? If a Struggling Actress gets a callback (eeeee!!!) what happens? And then What happens? and THEN what happens?

Backstage did a few articles about the process. Read them here.

In the meantime, these American Airlines pilots look adorable in their caps...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.