"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Compliments from Strangers

Isn't it funny how if we receive a compliment from a best friend we've known for years, we don't really take it to heart? We feel that they have to say something nice, because we've seen each other cry and we hug each time we say hello and goodbye. Those compliments don't carry much weight.

But compliments from strangers mean the world. They don't compliment you because they want to make you feel better. They compliment you because they REALLY think something nice and want you to know. They don't owe you anything. They're not your doting dad who loves and watches everything you do, who will call up relatives and brag about your background work. They're just saying aloud something they really believe.

My friend JenIsLena brought a friend of hers to audit our acting class. He's worked. A lot. Nine episodes on 24, a pilot for Alan Ball... 

Well, JenIsLena just told me that he had mentioned to her that he thought I was great. That "there's no reason for her not to be working all the time." That I'm "So the cute, quirky girl."

You know how that makes me feel?

AWESOME!

I read somewhere, from one of those touchy-feely alternative books in the self-help section, that when we receive compliments like that, it means we're being validated by the Universe - that we are following the path we were meant to take.  And every now and then, I get that. I get validated.

Maybe there really is something to it.

4 comments:

  1. it is most certainly validation from the universe that we're (you are) on the right path. And I don't know about you, but for me things like that come to me when I'm at my lowest. When I'm feeling incredibly useless and dejected and talent-free. THAT'S when a stranger will come out of nowhere and shatter that self loathing.

    Keep up the good work then, is all I can say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. And I guess you can take it as validation from the universe. But then, sometimes when people really bite at you and wanna smash you to pieces; sometimes for me that's an even bigger sign that you're on a great track.

    I just interviewed an actor who was told in an audition to never act again (seriously) and three weeks later he got the best role of his career, the one he's most known for. I can relate to that. So I think you're right, but also, paradoxically, the opposite can be true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wootness! That's a huge compliment and it is objective and it's from someone who knows! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your profile and, to my mind,
    "poof weeding is ova weighted"

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.