"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

I used to work in a Florist's Shop three years ago when I was still in college [hack! cough!]. For the entire month of February, long stem roses TRIPLE in price. And if you don't get your flowers ordered by the first week for a delivery, you are pretty much outta luck. (Although, I had been trained to say, instead of sorry, we're no longer accepting delivery orders for Valentine's day, to say, "Would you like us to deliver a bouquet of roses the day before with the note, 'I just couldn't wait another day to say I love you'?" Procrastination WIN!)

And because of this, nothing says thoughtless to me like red roses on Valentine's day.  Or, as Glow pointed out, a bear with heart.  And heart shaped jewelry is perfect if I'm under ten years old, which was 14 [hack! cough!] long years ago.

Plus, having worked as a waitress for so long and constantly working holidays, Valentine's Day for servers is right up there with Black Friday for retail. EVERYONE wants to go out and have dinner. An entire night of two tops. Two tops who don't want to chat or joke, but just want to get and eat their food and drinks as quickly as possible to prove that they really do like each other.

Having all these distasteful feelings of the holiday, I pretty much guaranteed the Love of My Life a very laid back first V day together. I can't even remember what we did. We were 3 1/2 months in. Maybe we saw a movie the day after. We were still in that goofy, moony Honeymoon stage. Maybe we didn't do anything but cuddle and tell bad jokes. That would have been perfect for me.

The following year, we were about to move in together and I took some colored red and pink paper and made him a gigantic heart with our stick figure faces and "Every day is Valentine's Day with you!"
Because, for the first time in my life, the honeymoon stage didn't seem to end. It was still going strong over a year later.

This year, I made him a homemade Valentine again. I went into my old Match.com account and grabbed the "Who I am and who I'm looking for" blurb that's a profile requirement, hacked into his Match.com account after guessing his password correctly on the first try, and swiped his old profile blurb as well and then printed them together with our old photos.

Every day IS Valentine's Day with you, babe. I love you.

1 comment:

Play nice.