"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Make New Friends!


I wrote about a week and half ago about Julian Smith. Because seriously, if you're a facebookworm you know that there was a survey called "25 Things About Me," which Julian then took and made a video called "25 Things I Hate About Facebook."

So of course I thought, this guy is awesome! How fun! So I researched him, found his website, his imdb, and I wrote him an email basically saying, I'd love to work with you.

I figured he was extremely busy and that I'd never hear from him.

But I did.

Originally from Nashville, he was flying out to California to take some pretty high profile meetings. Would I be available to meet?

Um, YES!

So he met with me on Sunday, and we talked for about an hour and a half, just getting to know each other. When I had mentioned his second of three "Get Your Own iPhone!" ads, I admitted that I didn't get a few of the jokes and thought that it could've been edited a little tighter. So what does he do? Instead of arguing with me, he opened up his computer and we reviewed it together. He was completely open while listening to me and he showed me continuity challenge he had and even explained the jokes to me I didn't get. (All those young kids with their new slang. ::sigh:: I'm old)

He was just so incredibly nice, very well spoken, and really excited about life. And he should be. This guy is going to be hugely successful (more so than he already is), with tons of people just clamoring to work with him.

I know that moving to a big metropolis where you know absolutely no one is kinda scary at times, so I invited him into my social circle, where we creative types sit around a table and play cards, apples to apples, taboo, sorry, etc, so that he'll have a place to hang out and feel welcome.

Keep your eye on this guy. He's going to blow up. I'm calling it. 2011 is the year of Julian Smith. He will be everywhere and everyone will know him. And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.