"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Thursday, March 5, 2009

She Makes You Want to Eat Chips


My friend Tracy, who is NOT a struggling actress, who's the lead in Hell Froze Over, has also made you want to eat Tostitos during the Super Bowl, and made you want to buy diamonds for your significant other for both Christmas AND Valentine's Day, also writes a blog. She has been successful enough to even be flown over to New York to shoot part of her series. Ask me if I'm jealous. Not one bit. I am PROUD. I have known Tracy since Intro to Philosophy back in school, (see, actresses can be smart....taking a religion 201 class) and I have seen Tracy grow and grow and write and write and grow and write and...we even wrote our own show back in school and sold out all four nights and turned people away - a Chapman first!

At any rate, I love her writing. She's even writing a screenplay! But she also has a very fun blog called "Latin She Once Translated For Me But I Forgot." But knowing Tracy, it's probably about how everything turns into chaos.

I want to live in New York for two years. At least two years. Enough to get to feel like a New Yorker and know all the boroughs and subways and cool hole in the walls to eat. My grandmother was born in New York City in 1920, the first American daughter of immigrant parents, and my mother was also born and raised in the city. I have a maternal connection to New York. And I visited for a few days and was just struck by how wondrous it was. It was also snowing, and I was staying at Le Meridian, so the experience was incredibly glamorous. It was otherwordly. It was New York.

Tracy has been to New York countless times. Although, I believe, if she could, she'd rather live in London, but NY is a third home to her.

And NY and LA are so completely different in the acting world. LA is about who you know and how you look, NY is about being professional and being who you are.

Read Tracy's blog. She knows a lot of big words. You'll feel smarter and more worldly.

1 comment:

Play nice.