"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Take Care

Yesterday, after rocking the karaoke mike with Ke$ha's "TikTok," I went over to my friend Angela's apt to see her new puppy. I cooed and ahhed and oohed, and the desire to be able to take care of something more helpless than myself reared it's adorable little puppy dog head at me.

What IS this feeling? I can see a half dead succulant on my bookshelf, and my legs rival MoNique's, so if I can't take care of a plant, or shave my hairy legs, WHY do I think it's somewhat possible to care for something who needs me for everything?

Is it the hormones coursing through my veins? I mean, I'm only 22 (cough, hack!) so why on Earth am I feeling this way? I'm too young to feel this way! I still get pimples!

I just have to settle for living vicariously through others. And being thankful for the little things. Like not having to change diapers, or wake up early for feedings, or crate train or hear barking. I AM happy that Antne and I have our little uncomplicated life together, filled with last minute karaoke plans and why not mini camping trips. There is something to be said for enjoying the simple life together before we complicate it with starting a family.

I gave Antne the nickname "Puppy," four years ago. And really, he's all I need right now.

(It's okay. I threw up a little in my mouth too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I have been contemplating making my simple life more complicated lately! With a puppy, not a baby. What is it about being 22 (hack hack hack!) that does that to us?

    Oh, and try an orchid....those things thrive on neglect! ;) I know from what I speak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shelby. I got her when she was six weeks old and I don't regret it. But the first six months were PAINFUL. It had to have been as bad as having a baby. Except that she pooped and peed on my carpet. And cried literally all night long for weeks. And now whenever I want to go anywhere on vacation there is the what to do with the dog question because I hate kennels. Your career is about to take off. This is NOT the time to tie yourself down to a living creature that needs you to take care of it. Buy a stuffed animal for you. And love on your friend's live dog. ((hugs)) I feel your pain. Really. But don't get a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a shelter dog! Both of ours are. We were able to house train them in 2 days a piece. It's not too hard when you get ones that aren't puppies. And they're so fun to take camping with you! And it's so lovely to have their companionship. So, I vote DOGS!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.