"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dropped!

So of course I was not happy with my current agent; I had five auditions in 6 months - 2 of which were when I was booked out and unavailable. And one of which was for a webseries where I had to audition in the director's apartment near LAX, on a Saturday. Now, I'm sure that if my agent had known it was at an apartment, he probably wouldn't have sent me. But let's just say I was not happy with the direction my agent was able to take me.

When the new commercial agency said they wanted to sign me, I had to do something about my current agent, whom I'm with across the board, meaning he represents me both for commercial and theatrical (tv/film) So instead of saying, "Hey, the last and only commercial audition you sent me out on was almost 6 months ago," I wrote, "Hey, Coast to Coast wants to rep me for commercials. What are your thoughts?"

Now, if you're my agent, you're probably pissed. Why does Coast to Coast want to rep you when you're with ME? Did you do.....SUBMISSIONS? Agents aren't stupid. And he probably knew that if he had a problem with me going over there, I'd drop him like a hot potato.

So he sent me this:

I want to take this opportunity to let you know that I will be trimming down my roster.

Due to the low success rate in the last few months, I feel that perhaps we are a poor fit and you may be better served by a different agency.

Therefore consider this email notice that you are released from your contract and are free to seek new commercial and theatrical
representation.

I wish you success in your career. Please keep in touch.



This is a BUSINESS. There was nothing personal on either side for us. If he's submitting me and no casting director is picking me to audition so I can book it and make my agent money, wouldn't his business be better served by dropping me and picking up someone else who could be picked by casting directors? Yes. And do I believe that a different agency might be able to get me out when he wasn't able to? Only time will tell.

I'm excited to see what the rest of the year throws my way. I've got half my team assembled, and new chapters are beginning.

In the meantime I'm visualizing booking a serious commercial campaign. I'm thinking insurance or cell phones. :)

2 comments:

  1. Email was polite...gotta thank him for that. Still, drop notices in person are the most classy way to go. Meh, either way, onwards and upwards for my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny to me how people outside of the creative industries don't get that its all business. I've been submitting to agents since January now, and have gotten lots and lots of rejections, most of which are form. In fact, and this is true, I just got one right now. While writing this! Non-artists tilt their heads sympathetically and tell me that its the agent's loss and that the book is so good, but, really now, do I want an agent that doesn't LOVE my work. Hell, no. They're not going to sell me well to the publishers. It's awesome that you've gotten an offer at a good commercial agency, and with work you get from them, and work you shall, you'll pick up another theatrical soon.
    Now back to impatiently tapping my fingernails on the glass while I wait for an agent who requested a complete manuscript 2 months ago.
    At least acting has a faster turn around than that.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.