"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tag! You're It!

My darling friend Tracy tagged me to tell ya'll seven facts about myself. I'm scared and nervous.

SO....

1) My father named all three of his kids. And since he was a smart guy, having graduated from MIT and then going on to Cal Berkeley to get his masters in Physics in the 70s, he really badly wanted to be a hippie but couldn't due to all his learnin'. Instead of dancing while on acid in San Francisco Park, he studied Astronomy. So my brother's middle name is Rigel, the brightest star in Orion's belt, and my sister was seriouslythisclose to being named Cassiopeia. She got a name instead that's Greek for butterfly. She lucked out. I am named after the constellation Lira. Never heard of it? Oh, that's cause it DOESN'T EXIST. It's LYRA. with a Y. But my dad, smartypants that he was, figured he didn't have to LOOK UP THE NAME JUST IN CASE. And so my name is misspelled. Lyra comes out in the summer sky, and you can find Vega, our brightest star, smack in the middle of it. Lyra is the Greek word for the lyre, the four stringed harp that was plucked while the Greeks recited poetry. It's where we get the word lyric from. If I had been born male, I would've been Orion.

2) I wear only 1 contact lens, in my right eye. I wear -3.5, while my left eye is perfect.

3) I have abandonment issues. In my own religion that I have created by studying a bunch of the other ones and keeping what I liked and throwing away what I didn't, loving people is being closer to god. I am a good person; a loving person.

4) ESP runs in the matriarchal line of my family, and when my grandma Claire died, she came to me several times in dreams. The first one: I was walking home and heard organ music, and knew immediately it was my dead Grandma! I ran inside and there she was, playing her dead husband's organ that we had inherited, and she turned around to face me, so excited, and said, "I finally learned to play!" And Grandma looked fantastic! 150 pounds slimmer, in 40s clothing and makeup, and looked about in her early 30s. She led me over to the couch, sat me down, and started patting my knee, something she always did when she was alive. "I am so much happier," she said, smiling, looking fabulous, "All my friends are with me." My last dream: Grandma and I are looking at a bunch of old photos I have of her, including one where she's with a few of her friends at a costume party. "I didn't know you had this one!" She said "I have a lot of your old photos," I replied. I turned to her and said, "I miss you so much." She hugs me and I feel her gently place me down into the exact position I woke up in. I thought to myself, wow, that's weird. I haven't thought of Grandma in a long time. I checked the date. February 17. Her birthday, and my half birthday. Because we were born exactly 6 months apart, it was always "Happy Birthday!" "Happy Half Birthday!"
You absolutely cannot tell me that these are just dreams, that they're not real, because they ARE real. They ARE.

5) Showering everyday is not good for my hair or skin, so I go a few days without bathing. Unless I work out, but otherwise, yeah. I probably didn't bathe the last time you saw me.

6) I know absolutely nothing about computers. My dad was a programmer and so is my brother, so growing up, if there was a problem, I'd just have one of them fix it. This is incredibly embarassing on my end.

7) I wrote my first news article at 12 for Youth Today, Fremont's citywide teen newspaper. I was the youngest on staff, and wrote about how teens today grow up too fast. Man, was I deep in the 90s.

So, Tag, Resa, m.r.holmes , Di and Boston Blond. You're it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey love the blog I will be following hope you will do the same!


    Leadingladyla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean used to have horrible eyes, and ended up getting laser eye surgery. He could only afford one eye at first, so for three years he went about life with one perfect eye, and one bad eye. He didn't wear a contact to correct this, just carried on with one blurry eye, until last year when he eventually had the other eye corrected. A fine photographer too!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.