"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Photographer Jason D

Oooh, fun time!

I came over to his Downtown apartment, which was built in the late 30s, I believe he said, and the architecture was just beautiful. I love me some old timey stuff. (For instance, one time, LACMA had a Rococo furniture exhibit, and I was enamored with the armoires.) Jason showed me a few of his inspirations to jump off of and I had my makeup clean and simple. Normally, I'm an eyeliner every day kind of girl, but I just had on a little powder, tons of mascara and a light lip gloss. I felt so naked.... Jason suggested lining the inside of my eyes to help them pop, so I did, and they did.
I had put my hair up with my bangs hanging down to the side, and I brought some sparkly jewelry (thanks Mama Nina!) to match my pink ball gown (thanks Chapman Theatre Awards ceremony!) He was shooting on a camera that I wish I could remember. It was a boxy one that shoots 5x5 film (I think) and had a cape he had to duck under in order to adjust all the levels and things. He gave me some more camera history and it all sounded very neat.

1st pose was me laying on a chaise lounge he had reupholstered, with a white backdrop. 2nd was me sitting up with the tulle of my dress around my knees. 3rd was a plain portrait. 4th was me on the chaise again, but this time, under a draped sheet, implied nude! Oooh la la! 5th and last, was me wrapped up in a sheet on the floor.

I was very comfortable and the entire shoot made me want to shoot some more classy implied nude stuff. I felt very sexy wrapped up in drop cloth. I pointed my toes, made sure to have angles (thanks Tyra!) and kinda wish I could explore more in that realm. Why not. I'm not getting any younger.

In fact, Jason is older than me, but looks like he could be on Hannah Montana and I asked him how hard it must be to never be taken seriously. We young lookin folks get that a lot. In fact, that's one of the things I actually like about getting older; now my opinions really matter. On the shoot, he said that the DP kept explaining certain things to him, which, if he was a student, he would've loved, but since he's a film maker who's been working on a documentary for the last 7 years, already knows. He said when people learn his real age, it's almost fun to watch them immediately switch on the respect they didn't have for him when they thought he was 15 years younger.

When he walked me to the door, he asked me a question which only highlighted how incredibly not hip I am but he was very sweet about it. He had mentioned that he'd love to do some pin-up style stuff (Varga!!!) and some special effects makeup stuff and I'm all about it.

He's also a writer. Something I kinda almost have in common with him.

Smiling emoticon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.