"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Commercial Agent Meeting


My manager had invited me to the Talent Managers Association Oscar Party last Sunday to schmooze and meet a few agents and casting directors to basically show the world that I'm like, you know, hot. Fake it til you make it, people!

What's funny, is that I finally met the agent in charge of the commercial division of the agency I'm currently with. When I asked him how many people he had on his client list, he told me 200, which , honestly, really isn't that much. What IS funny though, is that he continued on saying that he wanted to get rid of all the dead weight. That's ME! I have been with these people across the board since, what? July? And I have never gone out on one commercial audition. In fact, I have only had ONE audition with this agency, and, although it was for a guest star role on Pushing Daisies, the role was written out, and that was back in August. So again, I am stagnant just like I was last year when I was with Sanger Talent. And after complaining that I needed to leave because at 9 months, I only had two auditions, they folded. Which was a good thing, because my manager said, alright, I'll listen when you say you want to leave. She had hesitated before because she didn't want me to become one of "those actors" who jumps agency ships every three months, but listen: 1) One is able to break their contract like that under SAG rules for that very reason, and 2) I feel it was more of her hoping not to ruin her relationship with that agent because she had another client there. My headshots are great, I have tons of pictures, and my feeling is, if it's not working, get me the hell out of there!

So I talked briefly with an agent that my manager introduced me to, and he was interested in having me meet him for commercial rep. Sweet. I had the meeting with him the other day, and I liked what I saw. Small office, just him as an agent, and only 18 other clients. The place I'm at now, the CEO is building an empire, and I'm with all the dead guys and skeletons as mortar for the bricks. So it'd be nice to be able to have an agent I can actually get a hold of, who will answer my emails immediately, and will actually get back to my manager just as quickly. Cause that stuff is important!

Right now, I'm just waiting on my manager to return my call and see what our next step is. My manager keeps complaining that all I need are auditions. Tell me about it. I book a lot of my own stuff, and while that's all great and good, there is no money in non-union work, and baby needs a new pair of shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.