"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Crazy Couple of Days

Crazy couple of weeks, really. Cause when I'm not acting, or auditioning, or rehearsing, I have to work as hard as I can, and these posts have to fall by the wayside, which I hate.

Sad face!

So what I CAN tell you:

I shot a commercial! And as I was reading over my contract, I made a mental note to tell you guys: DO NOT EVER POST ABOUT A COMMERCIAL until it's on the air! Don't even describe what your audition was like. I shot one thing a few months ago I still can't talk about because they're going to do something like a sneak attack campaign (or something) and when they searched google and found me having posted "Just booked a thing for "Product X," on my acting website, they contacted my agent and he had to ask me to take it down. (My agent had to take time out of his busy day to do that. I can tell you he was not thrilled.)

The contract I signed yesterday stated that I was not allowed to talk about, give an opinion of, or mention the company's name before the thing aired. AND, some casting facilities are even posting signs saying if you're auditioning, you're "signing" a Non-Disclosure agreement, JUST BY AUDITIONING. Take a look at the walls at the Ivar Underground Casting Facility. I'm not kidding.

I even had Actors Access's public account on Facebook congratulate me on booking a commercial for that specific company, and I had to call up Breakdown Services and ask them to remove that post because it mentioned me and the company together in a public page, available to anyone surfing the internet. Extreme? It seems somewhat to me, but to be on the safe side, make sure your private Facebook account has your posts only available to your friends, if you have a public actor page, don't mention the company, don't mention the product, don't mention anything until your commercial is airing.

I'm also needed for an unexpected additional shoot day on this thing, which means: my agent renegotiated my shooting day fee. Yeehaw!

Also: I have a casting director who tried to get me in to his feature film casting thing a few weeks ago email me yesterday to see if he could bring me in. They still aren't happy with how casting is going for their one character and so they're bringing in more people. I was unavailable the first time because of the web series I was shooting, but now I can come in! And he found me from a project I worked on the previous summer, and calls me his "wild card" because I'm against the type they're really looking for, but he's sure I'll blow them away. Might not be what they originally had in mind, but it wouldn't be the first time I "wasn't right" for the role but still managed to book it.

Work begets work!

So up this week, I've got a commercial audition, a commercial shoot, and two auditions for two indie films. I'm having a grand ole time here, feeling like a real, live actress!

And now, off to the gym with my sides in tow, to memorize, memorize, memorize!!

1 comment:

Play nice.