"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Monday, November 29, 2010

Dear Struggling Actress

Jess asks:

Hi Lira- I've been mulling over the idea of moving out to L.A. to pursure acting but I admit, I am TERRIFIED! I'm 24, is that too old to try? Can you suggest cheap, safe areas to look for an apartment?

Yes, Jess. 24 is way too old to try. Unfortunately, you've missed the perfect age, which is when you're in utero. Your mom should have put you in diapers commercials when you were 6 months old so that you could have a career by now. Because that's your competition: girls who have been acting their whole lives.

24 is old. Ancient. This is a silly dream. Give it up. Get a normal 9-5 like everyone else. In this economy, you can't dream or chase dreams, or do what your heart tells you. You're terrified for a reason - the Universe is telling you not to go. And you should listen. Listen to only those who agree with me.

Sorry, Jess, but yeah. It's too late for you.

___________________________________

Okay Jess. How do you feel? Do you agree with me that I'm right and you should stick to what you're doing right now, or are you angry with me, and wanting to give me a few choice words that can't be published here? Because really, the ones who are going to make it are the ones who say "To hell with every one else, I'm going to do it! I'm going to move to LA and give myself TEN YEARS! And you can all kiss my ass!"

Because it's hard as hell out here. It really is. But you are NEVER too old to listen to your heart and do what you want to do. If you move out to LA, find out you don't like it, move back home, who cares? You followed your dream and discovered you wanted something else out of life. There is no wrong answer when you go out and do what you want to do. If you move out to LA, work hard and hustle, you could discover that you love it out here and find success.

And the age. Okay, first of all, being 24 doesn't matter because it's how old you look. To be honest, early 20s has the most competition, but once you reach what looks like is your early to mid 30s, the competition is easier because a lot of women pursue other things, or have families, or what have you. If you constantly train (see that guy to the right? He's MY coach! and I whole-heartedly recommend him once you get here!) and get better and better, get experience, get your reel, get good agents, you could have a steady working career.

As for where you should live - well. Hmmm... It depends what you like. I lived on the Hollywood/WeHo border for a few years and then moved to the valley. I loved living in Hollywood for as long as I did as I got a lay of the land pretty quickly. I then moved to the valley shortly and loved the quieter pace, the more suburban feel, the large, safer neighborhoods.

Backstage does a pretty great article about the best places to live every year in their paper, but I also found you an online piece.

If you're terrified, it means you're not prepared. So go to Google Maps, find the major cities, the cross streets, the freeways, and get a lay of the land before you get here. Come out with a girlfriend and stay here a week and do the tourist thing because it's fun.

If you want to do something, go out and do it. It's the only way to acheive happiness.

xoxo
The Struggling Actress

1 comment:

  1. Hockey great, Wayne Gretzky, said he missed 100% of the shots he didn't take.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.