"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How to Bond w/an 8 yr old Italian Girl Who Speaks No English

For some reason, "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical" are universal. And god bless them! Beatrice might not understand a word of what she's singing, but she's incredibly cute doing that Hillbilly Hoedown or whatever it's called dance that Miley Cyrus did in her last movie. My, how we've bonded.

It's total immersion Italian. And since I've studied both French and Spanish, I can get the gist of most of what they're saying. Especially when it involves the Italian word for "ring" with lots of pointing and yelling at Antne to get on the ball. "quattro anni en novembre" is how long we've been together. And then they yell some more at him. It's fun!

They also have complimented my "accento." They said mine is better than Antne's, but I'm going to go ahead and say that it's because I'm an actress and think I have an ear for accents. You should hear me do my stereotypical Jewish grandmother accent. It's great, cause I actually had a SJG, with the sequined sweaters and the bright orange lipstick and rose colored glasses. Linda Richman was a real person.

At any rate, PA is incredibly different from LA: The sky is blue, the trees are green, there are no palm trees or beaches, and no one has anorexia. It's a whole 'nother world!

We only have internet access at the Starbucks in Stoudsburg, a good 15-20 minutes away from Antne's parents. Can you believe having to drive 20 minutes for a caramel frappoccino?! I never realized I was so spoiled!

I have my computer with me this trip, which is nice. I showed Beatrice my reel. "Sono una actrice," I said, and showed her. Antne wants me to show the entire family my reel and headshots/modeling photos but I think it's way more impressive when the world is filled with infinite possibilities and Zac Efron dubbed in Italiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.