"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How To Relate to 14 Year Olds

So I'm like Batman this week where I am hosting a 14 year old and it's been fun having my very own Robin, teaching her my wily ways.

Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves," is one of her favorite songs, and she was singing along to it while checking her facebook yesterday.

"I was sixteen, he was twenty-one
Rode with us to memphis
And papa woulda shot him if he knew what he'd done"

She paused the music and turned her young face to me. "What does she mean there?"
"That they did something they should've waited til college to do."

I thought I was pretty cool.

Until I was driving my Robin to her class and we passed the CVS at Santa Monica. "Hey Robin!" I said, pointing, "that CVS has a special place in my heart because one time, standing right behind me was Ginger Spice!"
Robin turned her young face to me. "Who's that?"

Ugh. I am old.

3 comments:

  1. You stood in a que with Ginger Spice?!?!? Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHAHAHAHA yes. You are so cool. Jealous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny! enjoy the visit :)

    Laura
    leadingladyla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.