"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Monday, September 21, 2009

Just Doing It

So in the last month, I had four people tell me that I was wasting my talent and time by not writing. And all I could think in response was a whiny "I know...but WHAT am I supposed to write?!" In junior high, in high school, in college, post college, I wrote when I was inspired! I wrote when I was bored! I wrote when I was told to for a grade!
After graduating from school, the first thing I missed wasn't my friends. It was writing essays. That stamp on my forehead reads NERD, I know, but it's true. I even stole my boyfriend's homework just so I could write it! Oh, the putting of words to Word and pressing 'Control P'!

And yes, I'm on my 17th journal, AND I have this here blog, but it's not the same. It's not as disciplined (which I am aware is my own self-inflicted fault), not as finite. It's just not the same.

And yet, within the last month, I was given a 12 episode webseries writing assignment and I'm finally ready to tackle my first book that I have to research for (the nerd in me is squealing in delight!)

So where am I?

In the webseries: Episode 1 is finished. I'm working on a major arc point for episode 2 and finalizing minor characters as well as establishing their subplots and peccadilloes for my series bible.
For my Mom's book: First page is written (and what a first page, if I do say so myself. Friends, email me if you want to see it.) I've got Motherless Daughters and I Never Promised You a Rose Garden and I'm going through them slowly, highlighting passages I like and will probably refer to in my own book. (footnotes! bibliography!!!)

I am excited.

I am writing.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!!!!


    You are an inspiration.. truly.

    And, you ain't bad to look at, either..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! And I would like you to email me that page, please.

    And I'm getting back to you on doing the Jody crossover, as I'm not in charge of that kind of thing but think it would be freakin' SWEET if it happened :)

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.