"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Eff It, She Deserves It!

I'm not quite sure how "real" voting contests are. I believe that it's just a way for a company to get more people to know about whatever product they're selling than it is an actual contest that contestants can win. I saw a contest once to be a host for a new E! show where you had to upload your videos, etc and have all your friends vote for it, but, because I had an in, called to get the info on when the actual audition for the host was and went to that. Why would a production company hire someone who uploads a video? Why would they sit through thousands of videos? They're going to pick whoever they want, and that person is going to be professional.

Which leads me to Sarah Lasko. I just received a lovely email from her:

Hi Lira!
I've been following your blog for about a year now and I love it! I've loved watching you making big changes in your life and finding success. :)
I've just been gifted an amazing opportunity by Broadwayspace.com. I'm a finalist in their 2011 Broadway's Next Big Star Contest! I only have til May 15 to get as many votes as I can, and if I win, not only do I win an all expenses paid trip to NYC complete with free accommodations, dinner, and Broadway show, but also an audition with a Broadway casting director from Telsey & Company!!
I linked you the video on youtube a while ago (me singing "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" from Sweeney Todd) and you commented that you liked it,


[edit - I didn't like it, I frikkin LOVED IT! I have never heard such a voice that was not already on Broadway. If I get to heaven, I want angels to sing like her.] which gave me the idea to ask for your help. :)
I would be so so appreciative if you could vote and pass this on to your readers to vote too. Voting is SUPER easy. There's no registration or email required, just a few clicks and you're done.  
Thank you so SO much for your support! You inspire me on my own journey as a performer!
Best wishes!
Sarah Lasko
 
Sarah Lasko and I had a small email exchange about a year ago so she's serious when she says she's been following for just as long. And I voted yesterday - it is ridiculously easy. Like she said, no sign up, nothing. Takes all of three seconds to click on her and push 'vote.'
 
I will probably never do this again, and even if this contest is fake and voting doesn't matter, would you mind taking 3 seconds to click on the above link to vote for Sarah Lasko? This girl is going places, and fast, trust me, so when we all get to go backstage to ask her to sign our Playbill, we can say, "Sarah Lasko! Your performance made me so proud! You see, I voted for you for the Broadway's Next Big Star Contest, and I feel like I helped you get here!" And she'll smile, sign 'with love, Sarah Lasko' on our program and say, "You did help me! Thank you! You helped me be the happiest I have ever been in my life. And I hope my performance made you feel love and remind you that you are loved." And we can say, "It did, Sarah! It did! Brava!"

Brava, Sarah. Brava.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your support Lira!!! You just made my night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted, and I'm commenting because I wanted to thank you for always being so helpful to your fellow performers!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.