"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pilot Season 2011: The Aftermath

 Here is Premier Talent Group's CEO's report on the 2011 pilot season. He calculates how many roles per gender per age group were available, and how many of each were given to a Star or Known name. You must read this.

My favorite part of it is when agent James J Jones writes something along the lines of "Don't worry! Don't be discouraged! If you were lucky enough to audition for a pilot, they now know you exist!" Which I guess is supposed to be uplifting in a world where Struggling Actresses aren't even considered for pilots anymore. Imagine if Friends was being recast today. It'd star Michelle Trachtenberg as Phoebe, Kellan Lutz as Joey, Annalyne McCord as Rachel, Robert Pattinson as Ross, and Daniel Radcliffe as Chandler. Actors from film, and already majorly established television stars would be offered the roles.

And here is a list of allllll the pilots this year, with the ones that got produced and picked up highlighted in yellow. If you're a Struggling Actress like me, you weren't seriously considered for any of them!

Here's to the Summer - where hopefully we can go out for the smaller roles and actually book some work, yeah?

Cheers!!!

3 comments:

  1. Cheers to that! I hope you get to keep busy because let me tell you (even though I'm sure you already know) it sucks a** living in a city were actors who audition on a regular basis are about as common as an endangered species. We're heading into winter now, which always makes things worse and this summer was abysmal enough. I am frankly too drained from hoping and trying to stay proactive to write a single coherent sentence on my own blog. It would just be a big whinge, like this one... So, here's to hoping that you'll have a very very busy post-pilot season season, so I can marvel at your success and say to myself, 'Lira did it, and so can I!'
    Lots of love,
    X
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. would that version of "Friends" ever SUCK. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your posting this information, Lira, and the agency for making it available. I sent the report to all my thespian friends and our supporters. It's also very depressing for those of us over 50, but at least it provides a sobering reality check, the kind that says, "Oh, it's not me, it's the demographics."

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.