"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Friday, February 26, 2010

But I Act Like I'm 12

When I shot that horror film last year, I played a wife and mother of a 13 year old girl who was playing 11, but she could've passed for 15 since she was only one inch shorter than me. When I was brought in for ADR, I got to see the cut of the film for the first time. It was a bit disheartening as I looked 22 at the most and horribly miscast. There was no WAY I could have a daughter that old.

When I was at the epic callback that lasted for three hours just the other day, I read with one kid who I thought was just great, but looked about 20-22. After he left, the director and producer asked me what I thought. "I loved him!" I said, "But does it look like we could really be a couple? Doesn't he look a bit too young for me?" "Not at all!" the director said. "How old are you?" asked the producer.

This is actually an illegal question to ask at a Sag audition due to ageism, but sometimes people don't know this, and this was a non-union project anyways. "How old is the character?" I asked back. That's what we're taught to answer in this situation. The producer knew what was up. "She's 54," he smiled. "That's wonderful!" I laughed, "I'm 53 and a half!"

Last year for my birthday, I made cookie pie (frozen pie crust filled with cookie dough and underbaked like brownies - YUM!) and I wrote Happy 22-28th Birthday! Cause that's my range.

I'm Timeless!

4 comments:

  1. I read your post three times, went to your profile page, read your post again, and then just started laughing. In my mind, I was wearing a leotard, tap shoes, and carrying one of those nifty canes. The sound system was blaring, "It's Hollywood" music while I was furiously tapping away. I was quite good if you were wondering. Work it, Lira, work it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was taught to answer that way too. However, recently, in talks with my new (awesome) on-camera teacher, he said pick an age that represents you and stick with it. Asking how old the character is and then answering is coy and makes the asker automatically think you're lying, even if you're not. What do you think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since they have no reason to think you would be lying, that's great! It's wise to know how old the character is when you go in (I knew she was listed as 22-25 and I submitted because I still feel comfortable playing 22) but yeah. Stick with a predetermined age. It's not how old you are, but how old you act.

    Hi. I'm a bratty teen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, that cookie pie is making me drool! I want it now!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.