"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Eh

My audition yesterday took place at Sunset Gower Studios. Now, even though I get lost EVERY SINGLE TIME I have to go to a studio, I absolutely love it. I love wandering halls while people come out of doors knowing where they're going and looking so casual. I'm usually wearing a ton of makeup and fancy clothes, and here people are, normal people you'd see in line at Starbucks, or the commissary(!) and I just think the whole thing is so neat. Look! These people have a fun job! I want a fun job! And that gets me pumped for the audition.

I got to my destination suite, and there weren't any other actors waiting around. It is incredibly unusual for a casting session to NOT have people waiting. And I always use the casting session as an indicator on how the actual film shoot will be. If I'm waiting more than 30 minutes, I know we'll all feel rushed on getting things done during production. If I wait over an hour, and it happens, trust me, I know production doesn't have a clue what they're doing and will most likely not ever get to production stage. That's right: struggling actresses will interview for a job that has no chance of existing. Heartwarming, right?

So I entered the room, signed in, and sat down. The office was cute. The non-speaking recepetionist was online shoe shopping. I could hear the actor in the other room auditioning doing a pretty good job.

I went in very quickly and they asked if I had any questions about the scene. The character I was reading for was making awkward conversation with a guy she just met in an elevator. It was about a page and a half. I read other character sides to get a feel for the film and learned that this character actually shows up more than just the one time. So I'm not quite sure why they chose THESE sides in particular. The character apparently becomes a minor love interest to the main guy. So why choose sides that show NO RELATIONSHIP TO HIM WHATSOEVER? So I asked them, yeah, hey, is there any other way you want this scene to be played, other than awkwardly?
Lady 1 goes on and on about how my character has had a really rough day, she's just trying to make conversation, but it goes on too long, and her wrist bothers her and she's just really really tired.
It's just really, really awkward! says Lady 2.
Why did I even bother? thought Stuggling Actress 1.

So the scene happened. I mean, I could go on about how I utlizied environment and relationship but that stuff is boring. The scene happened, people!

And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.