"The label you give yourself cannot impact external forces that are not motivated by your own psychology or influenced by a third party's pre-existing consciousness of you. We are all presented with reasons to struggle which come from completely external forces; to pretend that one is not struggling is either arrogance or an admission of defeat. To admit that one is struggling is a sign and a source of strength." - Evan A. Baker

Monday, March 23, 2009

Trying to Pass the Time

One of the most magical things about show business is how you need to be ready at a moment's notice. You could be discovered tomorrow! So you get your headshots done, you constantly update your resumes, you audition, audition, audition....and then you wait.

Of course, we say "wait," when we really mean you're researching roles, taking classes, keeping your body fit, maintaining your appearance, buying trendy clothes, doing student films for free, getting more work to update your reel, AND waiting for your phone to ring.

I am waiting for my phone to ring. If I don't hear it today for the commercial audition I was at, then I can pretty much assume I am not being asked to return for the callback.

So! To keep busy, I am doing four loads of laundry, unpacking from the camping trip we did over the weekend, cleaning up the office, baking chocolate chip croissants, (crescent rolls, from Pillsbury, of course) going to the bank, dropping off some money to my manager, and doing whatever else I can think of to keep my mind off my phone and onto more productive things instead.

Oooh! And I get to go to the library today! I am such an avid reader! So if you got some book recommendations, I'll put them on my list.

Tick tock, tick tock. Struggling Actresses are the most productive when we're waiting for the phone to ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.